Good morning, friends! How was your weekend? I had a quieter weekend filled with time with friends, a bit of organizing for the new year and a beautiful cross country ski. I also hung my vision board!
In my About section, I stress that I firmly believe that life is to be lived with integrity, joy, and unrelenting intention.
A huge part of that for me is to make achievable goals and find a way to quantify them. Over the holidays, I had a vision board party with Angela, a long time blog friend, and Leanne, a new blogger friend! These ladies are such an inspiration to me; they are active, healthy, successful in their careers and still make time to write quality blog posts and maintain a beautiful blog with rocking photography. Like I said…inspiring.
We mapped out our plans for 2013, carefully gluing themes in appropriate sections and comparing goals.
The interesting thing is, my vision board was in the back of my car when I had my accident and was a tad damaged from the crash. I left the tear to remind me that I can plan all I want, but I can never be fully in control of my own life.
Nevertheless, here is my vision board for 2013.
I divide my vision board into sections that I want to achieve like my blog, my fitness and nutrition, my faith and spirituality, careers, family, friends and more. Of course I have a list that is too extensive or personal that I do not share on the blog, but this is what will stare me in the face every morning as I start the day!
1. Do a triathlon or duathlon in the spring. I have never tried one before, and with all the spin classes I am teaching, I am certain I would be able to rock it!
2. Run a half marathon. I am teaching a half marathon clinic at my gym, so it seemed obvious to add this to the calendar.
3. Run a full marathon in the fall. Believe it or not, I have NEVER ran a full marathon, just an ultra, some 30 km races and a few halfs. I plan to change that one this year! 2013, here I come!
4. Learn a new sport.
1. Trying sprouting!
2. Try juicing! I already bought a juicer and I am anxiously awaiting it’s arrival. I will let you know how it goes!
3. Focus on eating local and fresh foods and shopping at the local market more. I often fall prey to convenience and I am trying to be more mindful of what I eat and where it is coming from!
1. Take some professional development courses from the University, such as technical writing and Adobe Photoshop and InDesign. I am finding myself needing to draft press releases and occasionally mock up what I am wanting for advertising for our graphic designers and I want to do a better job.
2. Get extra certifications, such as spin and pilates.
3. Finish my book on the history of Benjamin Eby. I am working with an organization on creating a book to add to a series on Mennonite Heroes and have been told they will be ready to publish next January. I better START writing it.
Mind and Soul
1. Read through the Bible in a year. Being a Christian is important to me, but I always am striving to be a better one. I want to read with a different angle, discover more and continue to form what it means for me.
2. Read more in general. I thought that when school ended I would have scads of time to read. I want to unplug from my computer at night and spend even just 15 minutes reading. I have been working through my current book, Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie since November! Want to read more too? Check out my giveaway through the Journal!
3. Be more playful, more adventurous and open to change.
1. Learn to use my camera properly. I have a beautiful Nikon camera that I have had for the past number of years. I decided that this is my year to learn to use it properly. Expect better photography in 2013!
2. Begin regular blog features. (Check back next week!)
3. Post every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
How will I quantify this? I am planning on doing a monthly goal list and check in to ensure that I am well on my way to achieving everything on my list.
Of course another new thing on my list is now finding a car which I am busily shopping for. How am I getting there? I am currently using a Hyundai Elantra from the local rental location.
It’s fun, but I cannot wait until I can finally slip into my very own car again! Any suggestions on what kind to get? I always am open to ideas!
Also, speaking of looking forward to 2013, check out my latest post at WFSRT on the upcoming food trends of 2013!
And finally, what are YOUR goals for 2013?