Wednesday Resources: Dealing With Life Stress While Training
What day is it? Seriously. Life has been a little off balance lately so if you have sent an email, text or tried to call me in the last little while and I have neglected to respond, I love you, I am just getting caught up.
I can say without reservation that this has been the most stressful time of my life to this point. There are a lot of balls in the air but slowly but surely, I am cracking away at my lists and getting things done, stuff sorted and figuring out adult answers to situations.
As I feel my stress mounting, I find myself trying hard to protect my training. The issue is, stress is stress. It doesn’t matter where it is coming from. Mounting stress in training allows my body to adapt and continually develop to become a stronger and faster athlete, but if I have double car accidents, work stress, real estate stress and decision making stress, I can reach a limit where my body can no longer adapt to that stress and I stop making gains in my training. Make sense?
Basically, no one is super human and the lower stress life you can carry, the better adaptation you will have in training.
Because I am all about getting better in my athletics, I am doing my darndest to stay zen. I can guarantee you that I have failed miserably some days but here are some of the things I am doing.
1. Sleep. This is my first answer to everything. Especially with daylight savings and losing an hour of sleep. This past week, I couldn’t get to sleep right away which is rare for me and I was feeling off so I changed my wake up time from 5 AM to 7 AM and skipped my morning workout in favour of more sleep. This will ONLY do good things for my training.
2. Laugh. I am surrounding myself with people and situations that makes me laugh. I will stop working at a set time each night if I can and flick on a comedy or read a book.
3. Breathe. I take regular breathing breaks because I have a terrible habit of holding my breath when I am stressed. Just breatheeeee.
4. Friends. Honestly, my friends are making my LIFE right now. I am going on lots of hikes, Starbucks dates and I even had a friend send me a text, telling me to meet them because they were taking me on a surprise road trip for the day. I am so unbelievably blessed to have the coolest, most thoughtful and outstanding people in my life.
5. Adrenal Support. I am loading up on Magnesium which helps with muscle relaxation and sleep as well as licorice tea because licorice contains glycyrrhizic acid, which inhibits cortisol breakdown, helping to restore normal levels of this hormone.
How Stress Can Impact Your Workout – The Science of Running
Adrenal Fatigue and Magnesium – Live Strong