Goals for July 2015
I seriously feel like my first impulse when beginning my month recap is asking where the month went? I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t have it ANY OTHER WAY. This month, I have increased my golf skills, took a dance class, paced a 70 miler, went white water rafting, moved and paid off my car. Life will not feel like it is passing slowly when you pack it full!
Last week’s training was the first one where I felt like I was knocking them out of the park again. I am not going to lie to you – I hit a bit of a lull there where running felt joyless because of the pain in my soleus, but after I had it released, I bounced back quickly and I was back to feeling amazing!
MONDAY – Beach volleyball – 3 games (45 minute games), REST from running
TUESDAY – 9 KM road training with 5 KM tempo, 9 KM trail run, 40 minutes strength training at gym, 1 hr soccer
WEDNESDAY – 1 hr golf,REST from running
THURSDAY – 11 KM with 1 KM repeats, with warm up, cool down and drills
FRIDAY – 2 KM swim workout, REST from running
SATURDAY – 18 KM run
SUNDAY – 30 minutes strength training, REST from running
Before I look forward to what I want to do in July, let’s chat about how my goals shaped up for June.
Last month, my goals were:
1. Get back into training A+ – Like I mentioned, with all of the races and the soleus issue I had, I felt as if my training took a bit of a hit. I still was able to complete workouts but I wasn’t really crushing them. Last week was the first one where I truly felt like I was “back”. Thankfully, my coach agrees.
2. Pace Kim to Western States Qualification at the Laurel Highlands Ultra. A Due to weather conditions and the fact that the Laurel Highlands is a really hard qualification course, Kim didn’t qualify for Western States but she is thrilled with her race and I give that a passing grade. The recap is here if you missed it.
3. See my family. A+ I moved into my sister’s house for the summer and it is a wonderful way to see my family more. My sister and I have an awesome morning routine – after my run, I will make a pot of coffee and we will do our make up and chat for 30 minutes.
4. Hone some new skills. A+ Yeah buddy! I have started beach volleyball for the summer and have extended my golf lessons to make sure that I know what I am doing. I have also started taking dance lessons because I am not busy enough.
5. Up the self care. A+ This month, when I needed to go into the office a couple hours later, I did. I went to a massage. I got my nails done. I turned in early on a few friday nights instead of going out. I unapologetically took care of myself and it has done wonders for me.
What do I want to do for July?
1. Join a book club. I am an English major and I find it easy to stop reading books that inspire and stretch me. I have found an incredible book club that helps with both of these things and I am looking forward to starting it this month!
2. Get a month of consistent training under my belt to the point where my speed work is feeling easy at my current paces. I also want to incorporate hill training and increase cycling and swimming for mid-month triathlon.
3. Enjoy the summer. I know this seems general, but I am capping the list of goals off here this month. I want to just take the time to play, spend time with friends and just enjoy the hot summer months where I can just run outside and GO! I am pleased with my progress in a lot of things and I am really on track to reach most of my goals for 2015. I want to use this month to soak it all in.
What are you doing in July?
Learn anything new lately?