Goal Setting for September
Happy holiday Monday everyone!
I am blissed out this weekend, spending time training, relaxing and with friends and family. Basically the perfect holiday.
It is so hard to believe that we are headed into September, but I saw a pumpkin spice latte at my local Starbucks the other day, so it must be true. What that means is that it is time to take a good hard look at my goals and make sure I am on track going into fall!
PR and BQ my marathon: Done and Done. My last marathon was 3:34:something and this one was twice as hard and I raced it in 3:21:36. I have my sights set on another huge PR for my Scotiabank marathon so stay tuned!
Do some networking for work: I have begun regularly meeting with a business mentor who is more successful than I could ever imagine and she is teaching me the basics of this whole new world that I like to call my “big girl job.” I am having a blast, but if there is one thing I have learned, it’s that life is a whole lot easier when you have a coach.
Rest: Nailed it. I literally spent the entire day before the marathon in bed, eating. It has been incredible to watch my resting heart rate plummet as I incorporate more rest and relaxation into my life. I have a high stress job and a stressful training plan – I need to make sure I take time to recharge.
Get organized: Uhhhh. Still getting there. I have been working with my developer and we are getting ready to roll out some exciting changes, but sometimes things take a lot longer than I think they should in my head. (Read: everything.) Regardless, I have made some strides and it should be ready to roll out soon.
Dive into a big project: This has been a crazy month of learning and growing on the public relations front and I am excited to continue to learn more. I have been working on an adventure expedition alongside my close friend who is a sports agent and I am confident I am learning from one of the best. J
Whew. So, now that we are staring out at September, what do I have on tap?
1. Take up martial arts. I know what you are thinking …where did this one come from? I put it on my 2014 vision board to learn self-defense and this is just my first step into the world of martial arts. I am beginning at a local Muay Thai gym to learn the foot work and movements and moving to Krav Maga when I feel ready. I love the idea of being as fit, strong and fast as possible and this one is just a bucket list item I need to stroke off! Besides…I already have the gloves for it!
2. Do a safe build for Scotiabank Marathon. September is the training month that matters. I am going to be training my face off to get my mileage high so I will be dropping off the side of the earth socially as it is one of the busiest work months for me as well. I may as well retitle September as Do Work.
3. Have one free week night a week. This is an ambitious goal but it is going to happen. I have begun scheduling one night a week in my calendar as BUSY which is a night where I do nothing but train, work on blog stuff, my side projects or just read a magazine. This means using that very foreign “no” word more than I want to, but I realized through my last marathon cycle that I cannot safely train and work when I have too many other things going on.
4. Check in with my hyperthyroidism. I have been neglecting this area of my health for a while mainly because of busyness. I have scheduled an appointment to check everything out and make sure that I am managing everything correctly. I will be doing a post this month on how hyperthyroidism affects how I train.
5. Celebrate! I have so many awesome people in my life who have some big birthdays this month so I have some fun celebrations planned and my goal is to give them the best gifts and best birthdays ever.
6. BONUS. Play squash once a week. In case you haven’t caught on, my workouts are quite social. I am beginning a weekly squash night with a friend who is much better than I and is willing to hone my skills. Because I am not that excellent at team sports but love competition, squash is a perfect sport for me to work on my plyometrics and explosive power. It also is going to be great to establish a workout schedule that will follow through the winter.
How about you, any goals for September?
What was one thing you did in August that you are proud of? Brag a little!!