Goals for June 2015
Well good morning, friends. We are almost at the halfway point of the year which is nuts to think about.
I had a good weekend at the Heartlake 5 Peaks race which was an absolute scorcher! I also had a birthday so I filled the weekend with a number of birthday celebrations as well.
Last week’s training was all about recovery. I was exhausted post-race so I slept quite a bit and just listened to my body. I also have abandoned cycling for the time being because it is affecting my calf a little. I am going to go get my bike refitted to try and clear up the issue.
MONDAY: 260 km mountain bike/ trail running
TUESDAY: 1 hr soccer game
THURSDAY: 5 KM trail run
SATURDAY: 8KM 5 Peaks race, 6 km cool down.
It is the beginning of a new month which means it is time to take a look back at what happened in May and set our sights on June.
1. Have a blast at training camp in Crystal Mountain. A++
I gained some confidence on the mountain bike portion at the Grit and Gravel Mountain Bike and got in some solid trail running.
2. Complete my first 48 hour adventure race. A++
3. Spend minimum of 30 minutes outdoors over the month of May. A++
When your back yard looks like this, it isn’t hard to do.
I seriously live for being outside and it is the underlying reason why I do all of the sports I do. Nothing makes me happier than being in nature for long stretches at a time.
4. Get ready to move. A
I don’t think anyone can ever feel fully prepared to move but I almost have all my things gathered up and am getting ready to move for my second last time this year. By September, I will be done with this nonsense and I can’t WAIT.
5. Celebrate my birthday! A++
Thank you to everyone who made me feel so special. I am so fortunate to have such wonderful people in my life.
And what’s up for June?
1. Get back into training. I feel that I haven’t really gotten back into proper training since Boston and I am ready to get some proper speed work back in my life. These old legs are feeling slow!
2. Pace Kim to Western States Qualification at the Laurel Highlands Ultra. In a couple weekends, I am headed to Pennsylvania to pace my dear Kim to Western States qualification. It will be another amazing girls weekend because the lovely Nikki will be my partner in crime to make it happen!
3. See my family. My grandmother was very quick to remind me how long it has been since I had seen her when she gave me my annual birthday call yesterday. I am making seeing immediate and extended family a priority this month because it is crazy how busyness creeps in.
4. Hone some new skills. I’ve signed up for golf lessons and am starting rec beach volleyball. I like to try and branch out from just running to make sure I am a multi-faceted athlete and always having fun! It is also a great way to connect with some of my close friends who don’t consider a 20 KM trail run a good time.
5. Up the self care. There have been a few life circumstances that have kind of pushed me down lately and it is just a reminder to always make sure you are kind to yourself. This month, I am going to get a massage, a manicure, go to the movies – all of the things that I forget to do when I am doing warp speed.
How about you, what is up for you in June?
What sports do you do outside of running?
Amy @ Running on Faith and Coffee says
It’s very easy to get so busy we forget to spend time with family. I know all too well about that. Happy Birthday BTW!
You have a great line up of goals! Happy June!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat says
You had a killer month my friend, and you deserve ALL the self care right now! I’m so proud of you for conquering the adventure race, especially with everything else going on. I wish I could have been there to celebrate your bday with you, but know that I did run a few extra miles in your honour on Sunday in Michigan! (I happened to pick a hilly loop course and thought “Jess would murder these hills!” 😉 I hope the move wasn’t too stressful, and here’s to a fabulous June!
You really are super-human girl! HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN!!
Happy Birthday! I love how your grandma is holding your face and kissing you. It’s such a beautiful picture. <3