Goal Setting for February and Goodlife Fitness Giveaway!
Happy Monday everyone!
It was an eventful weekend, including a long run, going out with friends, a hot yoga roomie-date with Ange and a birthday party celebration at home for my little sister.
Last week’s training was hard mentally. My coach reigned back my running because I am still in full on recovery mode and although some pain is normal in a stress fracture site as you return to full training load, it is a delicate balance and we are being more careful than aggressive right now. I want to storm Boston and I can only do that if I am healthy.
Because of this, my coach has me doing pool running which had me in the pool a LOT this week. I was not a happy camper because I spent a lot of time dodging people doing their water aerobics classes, my skin was dry and my signature scent this week was Eau de Chlorine. Ick.
TRAINING THIS WEEK
Monday: Pool Running Intervals – 1 hr
Tuesday: Swim 2750 m (50 min), Elliptical workout (1 hr), Core work
Wednesday: Pool Running Intervals – 5 KM simulation.
Thursday: Swim 2500 m (50 min), Cycle (1 hr)
Friday: Easy day – 20 min cycle, 10 minute core workout, 1 hour hot yoga
Saturday: 1 hour run (12 KM)
Sunday: 2:30 hr cycle with tempo/threshold work, race simulation.
I can’t wait to get back to running, but I am trying to be as patient as possible. Getting a coach is the best thing I could have done to ensure that I slowly but steadily prepare for my races.
It is so hard to believe we are in February already! I decided to cool my jets on making goals for January to settle into the year but I am ready to make a few specific goals this month with a nod to my 2015 goals.
1. Get my domestic on! I have a big old bag of lentils burning a hole in my cupboard and I want to learn to cook with them better. Feel free to leave suggestions in the comments. I also am tag teaming with Angela to make some super cool things like kombucha, kimchi and sauerkraut and am excited to figure out the processes.
2. GIVE. I have some big volunteering goals for February including a massive collection of potatoes for our local food bank and some strategy meetings for local charities. I also want to donate blood mid-month as well.
3. Connect with three business mentors. I had said to connect with one mentor a month to grow personally, professionally and athletically. I had a few meetings with a sports mentor in January and now it’s time to focus on my career.
4. Do more snow sports. I tried to get out cross country skiing this weekend, but I needed to do the workout on the bike instead because I couldn’t find my boots! I was invited to join the local varsity team for training sessions so starting this week, I am looking forward to get coaching in how to XC ski at a higher level. I am hoping to hit the slopes at least once to go snowboarding.
5. Do a slow and steady build for Boston this month with a challenge from Goodlife:
In honour of Heart Month, GoodLife Fitness has teamed up with the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre to host the Healthy Heart Challenge – a 28 day opportunity to increase your heart health in February.
Beginning February 1st, the Health Heart Challenge gives access daily cardiac stats and trends, fitness advice, nutrition tips, recipe ideas and more. Dr. Paul Oh from the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre in Toronto and GoodLife fitness experts will inform Canadians about the latest research on heart health and provide helpful advice on how to manage heart disease risks.
I will also be holding a giveaway for this! If you sign up for the challenge, mention it in the comments and you will be entered to win a Goodlife Prize Pack.