Goals for August 2015
Well that was a month that certainly did not go as planned…
July was amazing but it was a little bit different on the training front that I expected. There was a moment where I was fighting back tears on the examination table where my coach said to me “Endurance sports are character building – this is just a part of being an athlete.”
Well, character was built in July and I have bounced back stronger than ever for August and I am ready to set some goals!
1. Join a book club – D Well, I ended up not joining the club this month because I didn’t get the book in time. The only reason I didn’t give myself an F was because I actually have read so many books this month! My favourite read in July was Into Thin Air, the account by John on the 2006 disaster in Mount Everest. I left the campfire early to read it in my sleeping bag with a flashlight – it was that good.
2. Consistent Training – F.
I think I jinxed it by making it a goal, however, while I didn’t get consistent RUN training under my belt, I didn’t miss a beat with training otherwise, logging hundreds of miles on the bike, in the pool on the pool belt and on the elliptical to get in my intervals. I feel fit, just needing to get my running legs back.
3. Enjoy the summer – A++ July. You were perfect. I have had campfires, gone mountain biking, trail running, exploring, ate more than my fair share of fresh corn on the cob, soft ice cream and watermelon, watched sunrises and sunsets, went swimming and sunworshipping. It has been a great 2015 summertime.
What do I want to do in August?
1. Have a blast at Transrockies. I know that this is a given, but I need to give myself SOME free passes, right? I fly out on Saturday for over a week in the mountains with some of my favourite people in what will probably end up being my favourite place. For now? ALL THE PACKING.
2. Volunteer – It has been a while since this has been on my list and I am joining up with a fantastic local organization with public relations efforts surrounding eating disorders. This is something I am so passionate about and I cannot wait to share a bit more about it with all of you.
3. Celebrate my mum. She is having a big milestone birthday and we have some shenanigans up our sleeve.
4. Meet one of my internet best friends. We have been talking since 2013 after working on an expedition together but we have never met. We have both seen each other through moving, life stress, break ups and other hard life stuff. Naturally the first time we meet in real life, we are going zip lining…
5. Go on the longest bike ride of my life. I have some plans in place to ride 200 KM in one day. This came from a conversation with a friend after a 100 KM ride where he said that it was a life goal of his to do 200 KM. I said, “Well then, we need to do that.”
So we are.
What are your August goals?